Wednesday, December 16, 2009

WFMW----Meal planning



I know this is probably something a lot of you hear about all the time and it is a great thing to do if you can do it but, with the help of a friend, I took it one step forward.

I don't just plan out the week, I plan out meals for the entire month!!! That's right the entire month. I got into Microsoft Publisher and create a calendar of meals for the month. I may not fill in every day initially but as the month progresses, I will add to the 'empty' spaces. The empty spaces usually happen at the end of the month.

For example, I had my calendar of meals ready to go for the entire month of December with the 23rd, 28th, and the 31st open. Now, due to extra food preparation and plans for Christmas finalized, I have those dates filled in. I don't always stick the plan everyday and sometimes have to change meals around depending on change of plans or timing but it works great even still.

How? Because for the most part, I have most if not all the items in the pantry for that meal. If I do have to change around a couple of the meals, I try to stick with meals in that week so I don't have to 'run' to the store or something, which makes for extra costs, which is something I try to avoid with meal planning.

For me too, creating a montly calendar helps prevent me from 'duplicating' many foods all the time. I like variety and change and before the calendar, I was having spaghetti, baked chicken, and soup every week. That just gets old and boring after a while. This month I am duplicating food, but I have put the duplicate food at the end of the month, which still creates some variety from all the other food this time of year.

Also, creating a meal plan is good, especially when I have 'excess' in my pantry. I like to 'stock up' on items if I find them on sale and even better if there is a coupon for it. I love living somewhat frugally and this is one of my ways to do so. It may not work for all but it does for me and creates a lesser stress at mealtime with the calendar.

All you can do is try it, if it's not for you, it's okay....but it works well for me!!!

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Our little BOY

My hubby and me

Linkedin

Followers