Monday, July 25, 2011

Mary, Mary, quite contrary....

How does your garden grow??  I don't know but it is growing like a weed, literally.

So I did it. I spent about 2 hours on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday canning tomatoes, for the first time ever.  With our garden growing graciously out of control, I had to do something with the 30+ tomatoes we've accumulated in the last 3 or 4 days.  With these tomatoes, I canned 10 1/2 jars of 'stewed' tomatoes. These tomatoes are great when mixed in with some cooked elbow macaroni! Yum! Macaroni and Tomatoes......

So I didn't spend the whole weekend doing this but it did take me some time on Saturday since it was the first time I have attempted to do it. We shall see next weekend how well my canning came out with the tomatoes, especially since the Apple Butter last year works better over vanilla bean ice cream.  But it is still really yummy over warm, fresh biscuits too.  :)

Our garden.  What can I say about it other than I think I bit off more than I could chew for the first year of ever having a true garden.  We have soo much produce! And it's still producing. I don't know how much we have given away much less ate....  It's been a little overwhelming but I do enjoy it. I enjoy the 'fruits' of the labor we have made for ourselves this year.

Yesterday, I made for us soup beans, cabbage, tomatoes, squash and zucchini, okra, and cornbread. Everything I made was from the garden expect for the bean and the cornbread. John was overly excited when he sat down to eat the 'meatless' country dinner.  Especially since my cornbread held almost perfectly together. There was a little tear in the top but it was sooo delicious....

Blay slept while John and I ate. While this wasn't our intention, it just happened he went to sleep when we made him sit on his bed for a time out. When John went back in to talk with him, he was snoozing, so we let him snooze. Poor little guy had a long weekend with late nights. Albeit, he had fun during his long and late weekend.  In fact, his weekend has continued in to today as he and his daddy are out and about for a Daddy Blay day with Cars 2 on the agenda.  We shall see how things are when I get home. :)  Though, Blay is usually really good for his daddy.

I hope I can continue the trend of blogging more than once every two months. My agenda for next week (now that my blog is changed, one color, and more functional) is to try to figure out how to link to Facebook and to upload pictures to my home computer as well as to Picasa.  In case you can't find Picasa now, it is located below the postings.

I hope you find the 'new' blog more readable and functional.  I am open to any and all criticisms though, so please, criticize away.

Love to all- Christy

1 comment:

Jill...Dale, Addie & Lilah said...

Love the new colors and layout...and especially that you're posting!!! Love you!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Our little BOY

My hubby and me

Linkedin

Followers